Skip to main content

My own personal Olympic medal with London Bus-Tops


London Bus-Tops caught my attention after watching a YouTube promo video and I thought to myself “I can do that, that’s right up my alley”. I immediately stopped working on an on-going student film poster project called ChitChatClick in order to get my work onto a Bus-Top in-time for the 2012 Olympic Games, which was the drive behind my motivation.

While studying Digital Arts at university I crudely created my first 2D animated music video called Rat Radar that’s been described as ‘Gorillaz’ after the stylized fictional cartoon band. It was unfulfilled in terms of potential and I instantly knew the characteristics and visual language would compliment the Bus-Tops requirements to a tea! I conceived the crazy idea of giant Space Rats marauding around the moon while walking home one night in the filthy west London suburb of Southall where I used to live with my troubled father, looking up to the moon lit sky listening to Action Radar by The Prodigy. I guess the image just stuck with me over the years. 




Before the Olympics were in sight I awoke from a cool dream one morning which for some reason featured Kit from 80’s TV series Night Rider, awaking with the name ‘Midnight Crisis’ etched into my brain. Normally it takes a little while to remember anything but those words ‘Midnight Crisis’ stood out, so I wrote it down. When the moment arrived I went to work on recreating and reworking my old character drawings in an attempt to recapture some of the imagination and spirit I felt. 

Moon Rats character design sheet B&W sRGB



The final output would be a low-res GIF animation but I made the decision to adapt my workflow for high-res print once the dramatic composition started to excite me. I worked diligently to expand the ideas and accurately reproduce the moon planet, deep space constellations and moody cloud cover by utilizing photographic resources from the NASA space program and recreate these elements in a manner that conceptually enhances the bold cartoon black and white Space Rats.

Moon-Rats-Midnight-Crisis-FIN-panoramic-v3-sRGB-CGS



Now the work was complete I needed to ensure its appearance on the Bus-Tops during the Olympics. I needed to catch the curator’s attention by introducing the project to my 300+ friends, associates and peers on Facebook. I setup a little message conversation with positive response apart from one hate-mongering troll trying to spoil the vibe by publicly stating “Please don't reply to this MSG, I don't want spam.” The culprit was met with a hostile response as most people were fighting my corner and showing their support, this made me happy and more importantly helped make a difference by motivating people into debate, I couldn't have asked for more. Animated HD promo videos and general networking followed the creation of my two submissions ‘Moon Rats Midnight Crisis’ and sequel ‘The Moon Rats Have Landed'. The latter of the two was selected by London Bus-Tops and displayed all over London including Hillingdon, Camden, Harrow, Barnet, Bromley and Croyden during the Olympic period. 








As a practicing artist my work has been exhibited in private gallery shows, public shows and recently published but never outdoors in a free to all open public space which is the kind of environment I want my art to exist, one of the biggest achievements on my C.V so far and a nice creative notch under my belt.






I told my friend Shim of my desire to get my work onto London Bus-Tops at a very early stage after discussing my art with her. After seeing the results for herself online and fulfilling my objective, she pointed out it’s a shame I can’t get any stable work as an artist and quit my part-time job hosting films for IMAX. I was forced to explain very briefly that I haven’t looked for a stable job yet, after graduating I was broke, lost my job, made homeless and suffered from severe anxiety which took some time so recover. It’s a creative choice not to pursue a full-time job yet until I feel I’m ready to make it a priority. Unfortunately I live in a society where your social acceptance is judged depending on your job and how much money you earn. My life as an artist is more than a career choice and its associated wealth, a job is not the light at the end of the tunnel. Money has never been the motivation although I do feel it will inevitably head in that direction but only on my terms, taking personal steps to forge a path that is solely my own. Creative freedom is a massive part of my life and hopefully will continue to be. I have a goal to achieve and a plan to realize that will prove I have true artistic spirit on the road to becoming the type of man I want to be.

Photobucket


Kazembe Hamadi a.k.a Yuyanda (search online)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'God Help the Girl' poster design WIP part 1.

Im currently working on a film poster design for a musical indie flick called God Help The Girl from Metrodome distribution due for release in 2014. The film stars Emily Browning (Suckerpunch) Hannah Murray (Game of Thrones) and Olly Alexander (lead singer of the British band Years and Years) and director Stuart Murdoch's debut film. The lineart features the main three characters from the film which I hope you will like. For more info about God Help The Girl visit the website  http://www.godhelpthegirl.com/ Olly Alexander as James. Hannah Murray as Cass. Emily Browning as Eve.

'God Help the Girl' poster design WIP part 4.

Here are my final poster designs for musical indie film God Help the Girl starring Emily Browning, Hannah Murray and Olly Alexander and directed by Stuart Murdoch. Unfortunately the window of opportunity was too small to get permission from the films distributors to use the posters for any theatrical cinema release but I have gained a certain amount of industry experience and good references from Metrodome Distribution. I am currently trying very hard to get the posters onto social media and the official website, it’s been a struggle so far but i'm not giving up. The feedback I have got from friends and the guys from Metrodome has been great. Quad poster. one-sheet poster.

Zimara. Jamila. Opia. Print available on Tictail.com

Product Info: Size - 100cm x 50cm. Print - Panoramic print on stretched canvas. "Inspired by the love for my little sisters, each portrait was hand painted in mono minimalist fashion and evolved creatively each time. Their names from left to right are Zimara, Jamila and Opia. My vision was not to create a caricature instead simplicity is what echoes through, enhancing the features making them more beautiful and stylized." Print Available Here Yuyanda's Blog of Art and Design, Animation and Illustration. 2017. All Rights Reserved.